Pages

Wednesday, 11 May 2011

AAARGH!

I went to the dentist and they told me the deep filling they'd put in wasn't working (uh, no shit Sherlock?). Funny how they didn't mention the chance of it failing when I was paying £100 to get it done. So now, instead of going to mum's on Saturday and having a week with her to enjoy my birthday, I get to wait until Tuesday, have a root canal, then go grab a train. I like no part of this. And oh! OH! The best part of this (aside, of course, from the massive pain I'll have to experience)? The root canal is going to cost £195. And the crown for the tooth? Another £204.

At this point I think the dentist could see the panic and glimmer of tears lurking deep in my eyes, and asked me to step out into the waiting room for a minute while he called in one of the NHS reps from the reception. After a few minutes they called me and said that they were going to do the root canal complete NHS covered, so it will be free, and I'll just (er.. 'just') pay for the crown. This had better work, if I go through this pain and then they end up having to yank the tooth anyway I'm going to be really pissed off.

What really annoys me is that if I were claiming benefits from the state for anything, I would be eligible to have it done for free. Yet because I work 20 hours in a minimum wage job and am a contributing, employed member of society, I have to pay for my treatment. Everything's backwards, and Britain now has a culture where it's better to be living off the state than trying not to.

I downloaded quite a cool phone app today. It's a food tracker, but it has a scanner so you can scan the barcode on the packaging and it brings up all the info. Handy when you don't want to fiddle around searching on your phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment