Pages

Monday, 27 June 2011

STSC Results - Week 3

I didn't have time to post this before work this morning, so I'm a little later in the day than usual, but here are the results:

Weight lost this week: 0.3kg (0.6lbs)
Total Challenge weight loss: 4.5kg (9.9lbs)

That's right, 0.3kg. The scale remained stubborn all week. I hoped in vain as I went to bed last night, that somehow the little whoosh I'd been hoping for would save the day at the last minute, but no.

The bad news is I was doing everything I should have been, and nothing I shouldn't, so there's no reason for me not to have lost a proper amount of weight. The good news is I have been doing everything I should be doing, and nothing I shouldn't, so there's no reason for me not to lose proper amounts of weight next time.

Angela Pea posted a timely link about plateaus and the scientific theory behind them, which (while not making the scale any less frustrating) made me feel a little better about it. Even if we don't know exactly what's going on, a plateau isn't arbitrary. There are reasons and it will start to move again.

One other good thing is that I was on plan all week. A lot of the time when we don't lose a lot/maintain/gain we can look back at our week and (if we're honest) see what the culprit was, in my case I know everything was fine. When I didn't see any change for my last post I was sure to be extra careful with things as my numbers were see-saw-ing a little, up and down. Posting a gain would have really dealt a blow to my motivation, so my diligence paid off in that respect. I had a weak moment a few days ago when a market find of some lovely cheap fresh cherries coincided with my 'baked and delicious' magazine subscription delivery, but after a bit of a struggle I realised baking could only lead to two outcomes:

a) bake. eat. cry.
b) bake. don't eat. sulk.

so for the sake of both the challenge and my mental health I decided against it.

Let it be noted that I will not be keeping my more positive attitude if I see no movement next week. Should that happen, I have a rather large tantrum building specially for the occasion.

5 comments:

  1. You are wise not to bake. My husband likes sweets. They don't bother him but they do me. I can stay out of sweets I buy a lot easier than things I bake myself. He likes chocolate so I buy individually wrapped chocolate things and keep them in a container in the refrigerator in the garage. I don't see them and he is satisfied with that. Hope you find what works for you. Since you had a hold this week should be a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sworn away baking for the summer. It just doesn't fair well with me. At all.

    If it wasn't for the challenge, I don't think I would weigh myself daily or weekly. When it's over, I will go back to weighing monthly. Less room for obsessing and those fluctuations won't be as visible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No baking at my house, either - it's just too darned hot to turn the oven on!

    Plateaus stink, they really do. All you can do is trudge across and anticipate the drop on the other side.

    Chin up! It WILL happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did great last week on the STS! I am a NO baker, to! Just can;t stop myself from licking while I bake and, well, then there are all the treats I made! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been saving this post for a while in my reader because I can't post comments with my phone. and I forgot what I wanted to say. I am caught up with your posts though and I think you are doing great with the food and that you are going to do great with your presentation.

    ReplyDelete