Pages

Friday, 13 January 2012

And.... breathe.

Well, I did it. I went the gym.

Today has actually been reasonably productive, but it feels less so because I had a few hiccups on the way. It's odd, because it's a good day, just done badly?

It started with the doctor, I had to start my vaccinations for China. I planned to leave at 9:20, drive the 5 minutes or so to the surgery and be a bit early so I wouldn't stress. The operative word then is 'planned'. What I actually did, was to get outside at 9:20 and realise that we'd had a cold snap in the night that had caused my car to freeze over. 10 minutes later my car has thawed out and I'm ready to go, but now worried I'm going to be late and hoping the roads won't be icy.

I don't really know the way to the surgery, except that it's quite close and I know I've driven around the area during my lessons before. I know the way to the station so I'm fine until then, so my dad gave me some basic instructions and told me not to worry. The first thing I did with these instructions was to miss the first left turn after the station because I didn't realise it came up so fast. I took the second left because I knew it led in the same direction, but that meant I was completely lost after. Dickens Heath (the place my doctor's is) is quite a new housing estate, and once you get in there are lots of little roads and dead ends. To make things worse, the sat nav I'd brought with me just in case is yelling directions at me, but they don't match with the roads because it's new ('Turn left': THERE IS NO LEFT HERE SAT NAV!). In the end I parked because and asked a passerby. I knew I was quite close, but with that kind of layout you could circle for ages. I ended up being 10 minutes late for my appointment, and having to face a faintly disapproving nurse because I have just under a month before I leave so it's a bit late to start thinking of injections (hey! I found out I was going and then we had Christmas/New Year, shit happens nurse lady). She gave me a polio booster thing since my original injection from little school was back in 1987, then stuck me in the other arm for the Hep A/Hep B combo shot. I have to back next week for the second Hep A/Hep B shot, as well as a typhoid shot, then I have to go again two weeks after that for my final combo injection and probably a flu shot. I feel a bit like a pin cushion.

Getting back to my road after the appointment was pure guess work.

After the doctor I went to the gym. It's weird, usually they won't let you on machines until you've gone through an intro of some kind, in this case I just filled in the details form yesterday and gave them the money. Today I signed in and that was fine, maybe because it's only a temporary membership? I did 5km on the recumbent bike (oh bike, how I've missed you!) then I did 3 sets of 12 reps on an upper body weight machine thing, followed by another 2km on the treadmill. I've added a little gym page to the site so I don't have to ramble on about it in detail here if you guys fine it boring.

After the gym I went to the supermarket (the gym is attached to the building) to get some soup I wanted for lunch, and planned to get home, do some prep for dinner tonight so it would be a bit faster (dad likes his dinner early, drives me mad but there you go). Again, the operative word there is 'planned'. What I actually did was get a call from dad in the car park as I was loading the food into the boot, asking where I was because I was meant to be in work 20 minutes ago. Damn! It's Friday, which means I work 12-4 not 1-5. Now I'm not going to have time for lunch - double Damn! I grabbed a banana and an apple when I got home and ran to the office with them, but I'm pretty hungry! I didn't eat breakfast before the doc because I wasn't sure f I should and then couldn't get a proper lunch after the gym!

So yeah, a good 'I achieved things' day, but in the most stressful way possible?

2 comments:

  1. I hate those days when you feel like you do nothing..but have really done A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. BUT think about it> You got a lot done. You were at the Gym and had a good time there. And I hope, you still got the work done you had to do at your job.
    We also got a lot of shots before we came here. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete